Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Alex’s way forward.

How I would like to use design.

To encourage sensitivity to objects.
And to bring to people’s attention subjects that are important to me.


Important Subjects

Trees
Trees have many qualities I admire which I feel can be applied to other subjects and objects themselves.
The Life span of a tree can be impressive but with that age come nobility and importance which we can see from the outside in its bark and in its shape; this time scale brings vulnerability as some trees do not produce seeds until they are over 30 years old, but it also brings strength and allows them to grow to become some of the largest living things on the planet.

Birds
Each bird, and family of birds, has different and specific characters that are extremely interesting to observe; again, these characters could be expressed in products to reflect the individuality and personalities of birds. A part of this character come from their movement and this is something that I will look at and develop in my work.

Projects that could come out of these two subjects;
I will continue with the Bird light by refining it for Artemide. I will go back and develop my interim show instillation which will become a project in it’s own right by creating a new aesthetic and form in which to show the work.
I am researching deeply into the subject of trees and will come up with a project that will highlight the grandeur, vulnerability and importance of them…